My experience with a Public Sector Bank

 

I always wanted to be 18 quickly. There were important things that one gets to do and documents one gets to own and possess. When I had just become 18, I wanted to have all those documents as well. Apart from applying for government documents, I went to apply for a bank account. There was a branch within a walking distance from my house and it is India’s largest public-owned bank as well. As a natural choice, I went to find out the process to get apply for the opening of an account. It was chaos there.

Entering the half-opened gate, I went up to the enquiry counter. It took me around 10 mins to ask him for the process, amongst the crowd. He gave me the form and asked me to give a copy of my Aadhar card, PAN card and the filled-up form. I did fill up the blurred form, which I was told to adjust with. I submitted the form the next day. It took several appearances and requests to get the account opened after a month.

After opening up the account, the behaviour of the bank towards the customer was astonishing. I always rushed to deposit cash before the opening of the branch so that I won’t have to stand in the queue. But even after the branch opened up at 10, the cashier came to the desk only at 10:30. The cashier was also in-chare of giving out new passbooks, but he denies it to me saying that I have an e-passbook. Even after I was given one, the printing machine didn’t work.

You might wonder why didn’t I complain. I actually did, but the enquiry officer told me “This is how the system is”. The servers don’t work half of the time. You have to beg them to give you access to certain facilities. They even lose documents and ask you to redeposit that. All of these and they are the highest pain bankers of the country (amongst public owned company). They also have the highest loan defaulters, which is public money lost. They are carefree and still at the chair because they work in a system that doesn’t have enough accountability.

Comments

Popular Posts