What does freedom mean to me?

Freedom can be defined as the ability to practice, choose and act in free will and independently in any situation that arises in one’s life. There have been multiple interpretations and there are many more to come because there cannot be a broad definition that fits all. Every individual will have a different version according to the situations they live and the experiences they have.

Politically speaking, the option to choose: the religion they want to follow, to speak when and what they want (until illegal or offensive), to move freely across locations, to pursue their desired career; but there won’t be complete freedom in any form of government because most of those do not like dissent.
Philosophically speaking, the freedom of a human can be when the mind is in the state the person wants it to be, to choose and perform actions as desired and without being compelled by others.

The definition of freedom for me has been changing as I grow up. When I was a student of class 8th, freedom for me was to sneak out of my house taking the scooter and going for a ride, which I was not allowed at that age, for obvious reasons. While completing my graduation, freedom for me was to travel around as much as I can while missing lectures that I did not like to attend. In the current situation when the world has been badly hit by the Coronavirus, I, like everyone else, want freedom from the virus and the fear of virus. But in the long-term perspective, freedom for me will be the ability to choose what I want to do and not succumb to financial constrain or obligation of any kind, the ability to change jobs when there isn’t satisfaction in it, take break as and when required, and having enough space for myself while spending time with my dear ones too.

If I am to define freedom, it will be living in a world not divided by boundaries and guarded by soldiers, having the whole world: the human civilisation and the animal kingdom as one. I would even want to have a single place for religious activities where people of different faiths and beliefs can practise at one place, without hampering each other, their respective culture or the rituals. 
Too much to ask for, isn't it ?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts