Indie Music

 

We all have heard songs of Prateek Kuhad, Ritwiz, or Anuv Jain. I am way more inclined to these artists than the typical film industry songs. You know, there is something about those that makes me feel so good about them. They have lyrics that are practical enough. The words they choose and the way they describe the words are quite relatable to our generation, at least to me. These songs are inspired from reality, say those artists. And I am pretty sure they are.

Growing up listening to typical Odia film industry and Hindi film industry songs, I felt good. I am talking of the 90s songs that used to come on the radio. And every Sunday, there used to the weekly roundup of most popular songs and I would love them. Akshaya Mohanty and Mohd. Rafi were my favourites.
 The songs in the 2000s however were a different story altogether. Simply put, they were bad. The state of affairs of songs kept going down. A lot of Hindi and English words were used in Odia songs. The Hindi film industry started copying songs. My interest in listening to them went down.

Various clubs and bands started having independent music in India, popular in the west. Internet usage was growing and so was the popularity of these songs. Now in the era after the Jio revolution, these songs have gotten a lot of popularity and following. These artists charge a lot for stage performances these days. They earn money from YouTube, as well as popularity.
Infact, some of these artists such as Prateek Kuhad have been approached by the high-budget film industry to make songs for them and those songs have garnered an audience for the films.

If I were to predict the future, then maybe one day our movies will have no songs at all and these independent artists will be heard through mediums such as TV and Radio, apart from the already used Internet. 

Comments

Popular Posts