My introduction to Hip Hop

 

Hip hop is not a genre it’s a world in itself. I remember it was the year 2013 when Eminem dropped his much-awaited album Marshal Mathers LP2. My friends at school were discussing about that album. They were also talking about Eminem’s songs were a worldwide hit such as Rap God, Berzerk, and Monster. I did not know a word about Hip hop then. My curiosity drove me towards the discussion and I asked them who is Eminem? I remember the reaction they gave. Everyone was taken aback and one of them asked me if I seriously didn't know about him? Eminem is one of the gods of hip hop, I was told.

This is also how I was introduced to Hip hop. I did not have a smartphone then and I was dependent on TV. I went home, scanned through my TV to find a music channel that streams English songs on the advice of my friends. I reached at VH1 where I found a video song by him 'Not Afraid' was being played. I was both dumbstruck and yet I liked how it was. Probably it is where I was started following Hip Hop.

Previously, the pop, rock, and roll genre dominated the music world, and hip hop was limited to the African American community. But now the scenario is different as it has toppled all the genres to emerge as the most heard genre globally. It has now reached every part of the world. Artists like Eminem, Nas, Dr Dre are recognised around the world.

Hip hop in India was heard but wasn’t very much performed. Hip hop legend Nas helped to give a global platform to Mumbai based artists and Divine and Naezy signed a contract with Nas's Mass Appeal. This is an entry of Indian Hip Hop into the global stage and how they believe that all the world is one through Hip Hop.

Comments

Popular Posts