NCC 3 – My learnings from camps

 

I have attended 8 camps in total, spending 107 days. I have learnt something from each of the camps. I will write one thing that has a benefit over me as a non-cadet as well.

i) IUC – The learning was to adapt to all forms of food given to you at any point in time and be able to live in all places.
I didn’t take meals properly because I couldn’t adapt to the rice, dal plus curry there. I spent 4 days not eating lunch or dinner enough and surviving from my bag (biscuits and all that I carried). I upset my stomach.
I couldn’t sleep for the first two nights. There were around 30 cadets in one hall, sleeping side by side. It was so odd, but I adapted, once a senior made me understood the situation of the camp organiser.

ii) Pre-IGC: When you sign up for multiple things, you should be able to manage and figure out how do you spend your 24 hours in that process. I signed up for the act, as well as a part of the parade contingent, and then I was picked up for the traditional dance as well. I had to rush between two places – the ground and the practice area, the camp was held at Sainik School Bhubaneswar. Also, I had to rush back to the room, change, and then come back. The first two days after being selected I was late, for we took a lot of time in the changing area for resting. The organiser, Col Palo, a truly inspiring officer, made us understand. I learnt well that time management is the most essential activity.

iii) IGC: I learnt the ability to intermix works, doing multiple works side by side, to make sure I achieve the deadline. In IGC some of the finest of the state/directorate come down for the competition. It is about the reputation of your group in large, the reputation of your battalion within the group and then your reputation. Your good work will not only help your group but will also take you to the Pre-RDC camps. I had to do multiple things- dance, drama, parade, and help the seniors since we organised the camp. It was a tough place to live in Sainik School Bhubaneswar on the grounds since the hostel had opened up for the students. I used to read up on my script in between my parades and recite them as I parade. I used to dance with the scripts as well. Parada, the thing I was good at, let me do that. I ended up doing great as an actor, even though it was the first time on the stage.

iv) Pre- RDC: Challenge yourself to a point where you make the best out of yourself. Keep growing. There were 3 phases in the Pre-RDC and each one of them had something new added on, along with an extension to the existing one. The morning reporting came up to 4:30 AM, in the chilly winters of December. We completed the entire reporting process before the sun came up. We use to warm up in full uniforms, running around in heavy shoes. Shorter breakfast duration was way more organised. Full day parade, refining each small aspect to turn out the neatest. We were taught the way to sit, walk, talk, and eat. Every time I thought I can’t take it, but I ended up doing it quite well. And I made it to the RDC. RDC was a lovely experience.

Comments

Popular Posts